Who hasn’t seen a diaper cake? You know, those adorable cakes made of diapers that you give to the mom-to-be at a Baby Shower? Well, I thought I would put a spin on the traditional diaper cake thing and do a Teacher Survival Kit Cake with a bunch of school supplies and a tin of Harry & David’s Hot Cocoa Mix, because we all need a little more chocolate in our lives, I say!
Okay, so the first thing I did was gather my supplies:
9 – Elmer’s Glue Bottles
10 – Crayon Boxes
4 – Tissue Boxes
30 – Glue Sticks
1 – Hot Cocoa Mix
A handful of pencils
Hot Glue Gun
Your FREE Printable (below)
Now, that you’ve collected all your supplies, you need to go ahead and print your FREE printable. Click on the link below and it should open up a PDF for you. Just print it, cut out both circles and set those aside for now.
1. Take your 4 tissue boxes and put them together. Then, take your scrap piece of cardboard and cut it so it’s slightly smaller than the base of the tissue boxes. This will serve as your “base”. Then, hot glue the tissue boxes to the base cardboard piece.
2. Now, take your hot cocoa mix and glue that to the middle of the tissue boxes. Chances are, your not going to find this exact hot cocoa mix. It can be anything cube shaped like that. Perhaps, a box of tea, chocolates, etc. Just be cute with it, cause it’s not going to show on the cake, but it will act as a little surprise center when it’s pulled apart. After you’ve done that, place 1 glue stick on each corner and then a box of crayons on the front. Then, put a Post It note pad in front of the box of crayons. That sounded confusing. See the pics below:
3. Then, take the rest of your glue sticks and make your next layer above the crayon boxes and tie ribbon around them to secure. Go ahead and add ribbon to the first layers you’ve already done too.
4. Now that you have your first 3 layers, hot glue 3 glue bottles to the top of the hot cocoa box (or whatever you have) to create your next layer and tie more ribbon around those to secure. Put some pencils in the middle of the glue bottles to fill the space.
5. Remember the printable? Grab that and your dowel. Stick the dowel in the center of the pencils and glue bottles and eyeball how far you want it to stick out. Now cut it. Take your printable and glue them back to back with the tip of the dowel in the middle, like a sandwich. Now, place your dowel back in the middle of the pencils.
Ta-da! You’re all done and you’ve made the cutest Teacher Supplies Kit Cake ever! You can totally customize this with different supplies. You could stick some scissors in the top or switch out the pencils for dry-erase markers or whatever else your dear teacher needs.
Let me know if you liked this post in the comments and don’t forget SHARING is CARING! See you next time!
Join the newsletter
Do you like FREE things? Of course, you do! Be sure to subscribe to my newsletter to stay up to date on my latest DIY projects, crafts, and other fun happenings and even some FREE stuff exclusively for my subscribers!